Monday, December 16, 2013

Creativity, Come Out, Come Out, Wherever You Are!




The brain is a very intricate organ, which comes with its own “theory”, Left brain-Right brain theory. I’m sure you have heard of this to some capacity, whether it was a small comment about your ear for languages, or your creative thinking. According to the left brain-right brain theory, each side of the brain controls different types of traits. Individuals who are more dominant with their left side are typically strong with language, logic, critical thinking, numbers and reasoning whereas, right brain is more creative, recognizing faces, expressing emotion, music, reading emotions, colors and intuition.

Clearly, I am not a left-brain thinker. I’m tone deaf with zero talent for learning languages and I can’t do basic math, it’s a struggle.  So I must be a right-brain thinker, right? Well, I do have an impeccable memory, and enjoy music but where in the world is my creativity? I tried to follow in my brother’s footsteps and attempt to draw but that didn’t last long since I could only sketch creepy stick figures with huge eyelashes. Then, I tried poetry… I was a one poem wonder kind of girl.  After that, I attempted song writing, yep. Never. Again. Then came a guitar and singing, soon after that I faced the harsh reality that I was tone deaf and couldn’t keep a beat.

During all the failed attempts to figure out where my creativity was hidden, it was right under my nose. Make-up. I was always playing with make-up, inviting friends over to give them make-overs and was fascinated by what I could achieve with makeup, whether it was a more sculpted face with contouring, a summer glow with a bronzer, big, bold, beautiful eyes or a fun lip color. I was practicing my creativity all along and failed to notice it was considered art.

I think that is why I enjoy make-up so much it is a way for me to express feelings and moods, just like a musician with their music. Instead of a pad of paper and pen, or an easel and canvas, I have my face, make up brushes and make up brands to test and play with.

When you are looking for your art or talent, stop forcing it, take a step back and look at what you are already achieving and creating.  

2 comments:

  1. Love this post! I think we both write in a very similar way - quite personal, genuine, to the point. Can't wait to read some more of your posts!
    danielascribbles.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks that means a lot! I love writing the way I do, because I find more people can relate! Why write things if it is just to sugarcoat things for other people? :)

      Delete